Friday, July 13, 2012

Ignore the Small Minded Haters

(Photo: WeHeartIt.com)
Pardon me, but I'm just now getting into Dawson's Creek. When it first aired in 1998, I was six years old -- much too young to understand the complicated relationships of the 15-year-old characters it portrayed. But now at 21, I'm totally seeing why it was so popular. The other day, I watched with gratification as Joey got her revenge on the gossipy contestants by answering her final interview question with this:
"I'd like to tell today's youth that no matter where life takes you big cities, small towns, you'll inevitably come across small minds. People who think they're better then you because of minor things like being pretty or popular automatically make you a worthwhile human being. None of these things matter! If you have a strength of character, integrity, a sense of pride, please don't sell them. Don't ever sell out-so when you meet someone for the first time, please don't judge them by their station in life…who knows? They just may end up being your best friend!" 
Small minds are certainly something you'll come across throughout your lifetime. And it's hard at first to let their words roll right off your back. Especially if you're related to those small minds.

I know people judge me. They worry because I haven't studied abroad and because I've been with the same guy for more than two years. These people think they're better than me because they're older or have more money than me. These people can't possibly imagine how happy I am "given my circumstances."

And so I've learned to ignore the naysayers. They're usually the people who get a look of consternation whenever I talk about myself. You can't care what other people think of you. It's enough to break you down.

So I've decided in the last year or two: All that matters is that I'm happy.

As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do what you feel in your heart to be right for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."


I'd rather be damned happy because I did what I wanted than damned unhappy because I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment