Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Songs to Put You in a Good Mood

When I feel down, there are a few things I like to do. Sometimes I watch clips from my favorite comedic movies. But mostly, I like to listen to good, upbeat music.

Gwen Stefani singing.
(Photo: No Doubt Facebook Page)

Here are some of my favorites:

No Doubt: "Settle Down"



Okay, so this just made it onto my Happy Song list. This new single from No Doubt's next album, Push and Shove (to be released September 25, 2012) has an infectious reggae beat and the lyrics, sung by Gwen Stefani, are all about being unbreakable, unstoppable. "I'm fine (and nothing's gonna knock this girl down) / I'm feeling positive for real, I'm all good," she sings. Seriously, just listen to the words and try not to feel like you can do anything, just because you've got Stefani's strength behind you.


Gavin DeGraw: "In Love With a Girl"


When I was single, love songs used to get me down. But now that I'm in love, this is one of those songs that just make me grin. The song is the lead single from DeGraw's self-titled second studio album. Though Katie Hasty of Billboard lamented the presence of auto-tuning but ultimately called it "a rocking home run in the same ballpark as 'I Don't Want to Be.'" Auto-tuned or not, my heart feels a little lighter when DeGraw sings, "Don't let nobody put you down, who you're with / Take the pain of protecting your name, from the crutch to the cane to the high wire."


Hanson: "Give a Little"


So, a story for you. We'd been living here in our apartment for a couple of months when we got upstairs neighbors. They loved to blare their hip-hop and R&B a loud as possible. The repetitive beats and simplistic, chauvinistic lyrics drove me nuts.


One day, I'd had a particularly rough time at work and was in no mood for their music. So I pulled up Spotify on my computer and blared Hanson as loud as possible. The computer speakers still weren't loud enough to compete with their music system so I sang along to this song (off their eighth studio album, Shout It Out) and dancing wildly across the apartment. "Give a little heart and soul / Let your body lose control," I sang along with Taylor Hanson. Eventually they turned their music off. But the biggest reward of that day was learning how much better singing at the top of your lungs and dancing like a fool can make you feel.


Natasha Bedingfield: "Pocketful of Sunshine"


This song just sounds like sunshine feels. There's no other way to describe this upbeat pop song. Natasha Bedingfield, a singer/songwriter from Britain, released this song as the second single off of her North American album by the same name. "Do what you want, / but you're never gonna break me, / sticks and stones are never gonna shake me," Bedingfield sings. I always feel better listening to this song.

What songs do you listen to to get happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment